Monday, April 30, 2012

How are we defined??????



Good morning everyone. I was talking to a friend that feels that everything she does has to be perfect and she expects her people that work with her to do the same. So, what happens with life happens and things fall apart? Do we fall apart? Do we get angry? Do we throw our hands up and give up? Hey, check this out. I am going to let you in on a little secret.....We're not perfect. We are flawed. I know it stinks to hear this news. At least it was for me. Cause I thought I was perfect for quite a few years when I was younger. Let's dig into some of the good stuff and see what God says about this thing called grace..........

Bible Verse: Romans 12:3 "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."

I want us to think about this question before we answer it. Do you try to be the best or do you simply try to do your best? A perfectionist has to be the best. They have to be #1. They have to be the mac daddy or mac momma.  They can't accept themselves. They can't be happy in second or third place. Not everyone is a Babe Ruth or a Neil Armstrong! 

Now, here is the super cool news! The grace of God lifts a man or woman without giving them the big head, and it humbles a person without taking away their self-worth. The person who strives for excellence through God says, "I am what I am by the grace of God." I know some of you are saying that sounds like a big ole' church phrase. Well, kind of but, this is the way we should be!

For the longest time in my life, I valued myself by what I did. My job as a police officer was my identity. I was Tony "the cop". Do you value yourself by what you do or by what you are? Here's is the thing you have a choice. You can either choose to see yourself as God sees you, or you can choose to see yourself as the world sees you. Whose opinion will you listen to today? Whose opinion really matters in the long run? I know you probably have someone in your life whose opinion really matters to you? Instead of defining who you are by their opinions, measure yourself by God's standard in His Word. I know this is a tall order but, you got this! One step at a time. have a great day and God bless!

No comments: