Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Where are you looking??????


Good Wednesday everyone. Well, we made it to hump day! I hope this find you well. I had my third Epidural Spinal Injection yesterday. I am really praying that this will speed up recovery of my back. I got to thinking this morning about how I live my life. Well, really how does everyone live their lives. What helps you along the way. This morning I was in line to drop Joslyn off at school. They have a policy that you are not allowed to park across the street and walk your kids through all the traffic for everyone's safety at to keep the flow moving. Well, a mom pulled up and parked and was walking her daughter across the street when the principal caught her. The principal said "You are not allowed to walk your child across the street and through the parking lot due to safety. The mom says "Everybody does it". Ok, my windows were down and Joslyn saw and heard everything. So, we had a great discussion about just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right! That brings me to today's scripture. Let's dig into the good stuff and see what it shows us.......

Bible Verse: 1 John 2:5"But whoso keepeth His word, in Him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him."

You might already know that I was in the navy. So, the next part is cool. Did you know the the word "keepeth" in 1 John came from the word that sailors used years ago to refer to their practice of steering their course by "keeping" the stars. Now, mind you that I was on a submarine and we couldn't use the stars but, it is still taught at navigation school 

Now, check this out. This didn't mean, that a sailor or ship would not be blown off course or that he might not over-steer. Or, maybe even nod off at the wheel or somehow even be distracted, or fail to keep a perfect chart. But the goal, the aim, the desire, and the thing that he looked to for guidance in his life were those stars. He knew that using them he could find the direction to his destination.

Now, you might be saying how does this help me? In the same way that the sailors used the stars, John says God's commandments are to be the standard by which we chart our courses in life. I had to sit back and ask myself if lately I have been using God's Word to guide my steps or allowing my will to overpower Gods'. So, what is determining your steps today? God's Word? Or your word or will? Let's do our best to keep our eyes on the prize and allow God to guide our footsteps. Have a great and blessed day!

No comments: