Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Just a thumb ride away.........



Good Wednesday everyone. Had a great day yesterday with some friends and Misty and I received a surprise visit from a sweet young lady last night. All in all it has been a great week so far. I would like to ask for prayer for my beautiful wife. She has pulled something in her shoulder and it is really bothering her. Thanks in advance for your prayers. Ok, I want you to know that I don't condone doing what I am fixing to tell you that I did but, it has some deep spiritual value to it. Let's dig into the good stuff and then I will share some of my life with you........

Bible Verse: Psalm 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee." Psalm 55:22

I was driving down Gallaher Rd. and fixing to get on I40 west bound when I saw a man standing on the side of the onramp. He looked to be in his 40's and was carrying a large backpack that appeared to be heavy. Before I knew it my truck had pulled over and my window was coming down. The man told me he was heading to Arizona. I told him that I wasn't going that far but, I would get him as far as I could. The man opened the back door and got in the back seat still wearing his backpack. I thought that was kind of weird but, I just looked at him and smiled. He looked and smelled like he hadn't been able to take a shower in weeks. I asked him his name and shared mine. I then told him that he could take his backpack off and relax a bit. Tim looked at me and said "I appreciate the ride and it was one thing that I stopped to pick him up when so many had passed by him but, I didn't need to carry his bag too."

I sat there for a minute while driving not really understanding him. So, I decided to drive him a little further that I had planned. After a few miles, we began some small talk. About family and where we had been. Next, it shifted gears and I brought out the big "G". That's right God! I asked him about his relationship with the Lord. Tim or as he said his grandmother called him Timothy when she was talking about God had been raised in church and by a God fearing family. Hardship had come upon their family and death. He was travelling to Arizona to be with the last part of his family. He said that he felt he had been a burden on so many over the years. He wasn't able to work due to a disability. He said that his aunt in Arizona had opened her doors and wanted him to come live with her. He slumped his shoulders over and started crying and while he cried told me that he had even thought about ending his own life so that he was no longer a burden to anyone. I was totally blown away and thought, God why me? Why are you doing this to me right now? Duh! Because He can and I will. Well, I was crying at this point and pulled the truck over on the interstate. Tim and I had a coming to Jesus right there in my truck. He prayed aloud and his prayers for me and my family made me cry even harder. I sat there and thought was I supposed to help Tim or was he supposed to help me? We got done praying and crying and I realized that I was out of napkins in the glove box. All I had was an ALLOUT for Jesus shirt in the back seat. So, it became a snot rag! We travelled for a few more miles and I pulled off the next exit that had a big gas station that looked like a lot of big trucks came through. I gave him a Bible that I had in my truck and when I looked back while I was pulling into the gas station. The backpack was lying next to him. Yeah, I know right! 

When we pulled in, I got out and shook his hand but, Tim pulled me in for a hug. I must say it was a little weird at first. But, it was one of those kind of brother hugs. Good and meaningful. We said our good bye's and Tim walked away. I got back in the truck for the long drive back to Kingston and I realized that when Tim hugged me, I could no longer smell him. I glanced in the back seat a saw where he had been sitting and old torn and tattered paperback new testament that he left in the seat. He had a new Bible and didn't need it anymore I guess or maybe it was too much weight. I must say that I cried or more like sobbed for a long part of the drive home. I kept thinking about how he wouldn't take his backpack off because he didn't want to burden me with carrying it too. Wow, It got me to thinking. Have I ever done that to the Lord? have I ever said, "Lord, I'll let You save me, but I'll carry my own burdens." How dumb we are to do this with the God who hung the stars! Do you do it? If we can trust God to save us from hell, don't you think we can cast our burdens upon the Lord right now? I have often said "My Jesus has some broad shoulders!" I have even said "My Jesus is buff!" You are the first to hear this story and I do not suggest you pick up hitch hikers. It can be very dangerous. But, I am a ninja and can do it. Smile! I pray this find you well and a little of my life can help just one. God bless.

 

No comments: