Sunday, September 16, 2012

Let the wrecking ball swing.......



Good Sunday everyone. Have you ever tossed and turned all night? I had dreams and thoughts running through my head all night. I finally decided at about 6am that I might as well get up. I guess God was putting so much on me or in me that it was pouring out. I want to talk about something that is personal to me but, I think, wait I know others deal with. My thoughts last night and into the wee hours of this morning were on forgiveness. Let's dig into the good stuff and see how God's Word can touch and possibly change our point of view..........

Bible Verse: Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Ok, let's just get this out of the way. I have been hurt by people. Some from inside the church and some from outside the church (not just talking about my current church). I have said that when God called me into the ministry that I would do my best to be transparent. Boy, that sure is hard sometimes. One of our biggest problems is a lack of accountability. Sometimes for our words or our actions. Maybe even lack of actions. Another problem is the person or people that have hurt us may not even realize that they hurt us. Then, what do we do? We build up these walls around our hearts. Sometimes even begin to have our hearts harden towards that person or just in general. But, maybe I am talking about just me this morning.

I can tell you from what I have been living for the past three years that sometimes someone wrongs you so bad and hurts you so bad that you don't know how to forgive. You want to. You know you need to. You just don't know how. Sometimes I think we need to forgive but, not forget. Well, I know that is true for me in one instance. Hurt in our lives is like bricks. Bricks that have mortar attached to them. Every time we are hurt another brick gets laid on a wall around our hearts. After a while, that wall gets built up pretty big. Sometimes so big that we can't see past it. Sometimes so big that nothing gets past it. Do you know anyone like that? Are you like that?

When all the thoughts were sprinting through my head last night and this morning one thought kept coming back over and over again. Wrecking ball......Wrecking ball......Wrecking ball! I was like, why am I thinking about a wrecking ball? Well, I know why. God wants to let His wrecking ball of forgiveness and love come swinging in toward our wall. Let's be real with each other this morning. We probably all have some type of wall built up around our hearts. Ok, let's break this down barney style for some this morning. If you have been hurt by a brother or sister in Christ. This is what the Bible, God's Word say's you are supposed to do in Matthew 18:15-17 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Those are not my words, those are God's Words. Hard to do? It sure is and will be!

How can we or do we ever expect people to change if there is never accountability? Most won't if left unchecked. Now, I am not counting God out. He can do anything. He can mend broken friendships, relationships, really anything. But, I think He has given His Word to help guide us and teach us. Do me another favor. Look up Proverbs 27:17. I pray you have a great day of worship today. God bless.










 






No comments: