Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Who's your Daddy??????



Good Tuesday everyone! I wrote yesterday about being God's child through faith in Jesus Christ. I want to talk about that name Christian and what it means or what it doesn't mean know a days. I am going to use myself as an example today. I was sixteen years old and going to church at South Harriman Baptist Church with a girl I was chasing after. Well, that year I walked the aisle and prayed a prayer. I said to anyone who asked that I was saved and that I was a Christian. Hey, guess what? I had a Bible with my name on the front. I even read it sometimes. I even went to church through out the next fourteen years. But, here is the hard part to tell you. I never got to know who God was. I never had a personal relationship with Him. I was never able to call Him "Father" or better yet "Daddy". I want us to dig into some of the good stuff and see what Gods' Word tells us about the subject......

Bible Verse: Romans 8:15 For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father!”

So, what does it mean to you to be God’s child, to be able to really call Him your father or your daddy? Too often, Christianity is presented as a contract between a person and God: “Just sign here, here, and here, and all your sins will be forgiven and you can go to heaven when you die.”It’s so much more personal to God than that. He’s not selling something we need. He’s not looking for buyers. He’s looking for children. He wants to be our daddy. He wants to adopt us. He’s looking to fill His family with lost kids by making them His kids.

Here's the thing, aside from Jesus, God has no biological children. Some people may have grown up in the church nursery, but we were not born into God’s family just by being born. We had to be adopted to become a child of God. And once we were in the family, He gave us the right to call Him “daddy.” Do you know you have that right today? So, what does it mean to you to know that God is your Father, that He has adopted you into His family? What is the value of that? Can Christianity work without the idea of God as Father? I thought it could for fourteen years until I finally realized that I didn't have that personal relationship with Him and asked Him to adopt me, forgive me, cleanse me, and that I believed Jesus died on the old rugged cross for me and my sins. Do you have that personal relationship with God? If so, thank God for giving you the spirit of adoption and inviting you to call Him“Father.” If not, let today be the day that you make things right. Please don't be like me and live a lie for so long. The title Christian doesn't mean anything without that personal relationship with the Father. Don't be embarrassed if people already think you are a Christian. I promise people will rejoice with you and God will probably be dancing the jig too! Life is way too short to live lies. Let's seach our hearts and be obeidient to what God shows us. Have a great day and God bless.

No comments: