Thursday, June 14, 2012

Let's do the "Do's"!!!!!!!!


Good Thursday everyone! I got off this morning from working the last six days straight of 12 hour shifts and I am ready for some family time. I was thinking last night about my kids and how much when they are young that we tell them "NO" or "Don't do that!" I think sometimes they expect it. Here's an example. I called Misty one night this week to tell everyone "Goodnight" and when I was done talking to her I asked her to put Luke, my son on the phone. Luke has been getting in trouble at daycare and I have had to talk to him about it a few times over the phone. So, when Misty told him that daddy wanted to talk to him he said "I was a good boy today mommy!" That got me thinking about our "DO's and Do not's". Do we do the do's and don’t do the do not's? Say that 5 times real fast. Let's dig into some of the good stuff and see what Gods' Word shows us......

Bible Verse: Hebrews 13:1 Let brotherly love continue.  Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Remember the prisoners as if chained with the, those who are mistreated, since you yourselves are in the body also.

Here's the thing, some people measure Christianity as a collection of the "don't" statements. Even some Christians seem to think that a relationship with God is mostly about what we do NOT do. So, if we really thought that way, the best Christian would be the one who never does anything at all. Right? I am afraid not! In Hebrews, after explaining about faith in Jesus as the only way to receive God's grace, ends this long letter with a bunch of 'Do" statements. The point here is that our faith should get us pumped up to take action! To "Do" something and not be a lump on a log! Get off your buttocks!!!  Why? Because if you are born again, you are or should be a follower of Jesus.

How about we try this one: How about we love other Christians like brothers or sisters (That doesn't mean pick on them like I did my little sister, poor Mandy). We are family! Real family, God's family, and we should love with a forgiving, patient, understanding, grace giving, helping hand, showing up, not letting go of love of Jesus. Now, that's some good love! That's what we need to have! Can you do that? If not, let's start today.

I have a couple questions for you. Have you ever tried to define your relationship with God by what you do "not" do? So, why would a "don't" list be a bad idea as a way to measure what it means to follow Jesus? Now, let's ask God to help us keep on loving other believers as brothers and sisters. How can you show the love of Jesus to some other Christians this week? Don't just think about it. Do it!!!! Let's not think so much about what we "don't do" but, more about what we "do do". I pray you have a great day and God bless!

No comments: