Saturday, June 30, 2012

To watch or not to watch.......

Good morning everyone! Has your weekend started out good? There is tons of buzzing going on about this new movie "Magic Mike" or maybe I should say controversy. To watch or not to watch. I guess that is the question. I asked the question if your husband was going to see a movie about strippers starring Jessica Alba, Jessica Beil, Salma Hayak, and Jessica Simpson would it be ok? I received polar opposite answers. Some said "I would rather him go see a movie about it instead of real strippers!" Some said they would not want them to go watch it. Some said "What would Jesus do?" Some even said "It's not that big of a deal, it's just a movie." Well, let's dig into some of the good stuff and see what it tells us......

Bible Verse: 1 John 2:16  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world.

Before we really get started, I have watched "R" rated movies. I have watched some movies that have had some risky scenes. But, at the same time I have fled from some things that I know cause lust in my heart. For example the restaurant "Hooters" is a place that I don't frequent anymore. I realized that I liked the hot wings there but, it had too many stumbling blocks for me. So, I called out my favorite Bible verse 2 Timothy 2:22 Flee from youthful desires, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, and gather with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Please don't get mad and say "He's telling me I should go to Hooters" not true. I am saying it caused me to stumble.

So, what about this movie "Magic Mike". basically it's a movie about bumping-and-grinding with stars like Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Alex Petty as exotic dancers and features a feast of male flesh. Most reviewers found the film to be a beefcake-rich feast of guilty pleasure. Those were not my words but, words of various reviewers. So, I guess the question that we should be asking ourselves. To watch or not to watch. Why has society taken the edge off from movies like this? The movies have taken a downward spiral in morals. We have grown to accept movies over the years that are more and more risky. Now, people aren't even questioning what we are watching.

Did you know that the sales at fandango (an online movie ticket purchasing source) have went up 200% for this movie. Why is that? Do people not want to stand in line to get tickets? Are they ashamed? Who knows. I guess I want to ask "Why watch this movie if it is so controversial?" Is it worth it? I will state for the record, I will not be watching "Magic Mike"!!! Have a great day and God bless.

No comments: