Saturday, June 2, 2012

Posting to the Father........

Good Saturday everyone! Just got home from work and wanted to get into the Word a little and share some thoughts. Let's just cut to the chase. Do you talk to God? How often? I bet you check your Facebook, email, or for texts on your phone more than you talk to God. I am saying that because I have caught myself doing it. And, I really don't think I am the only one. How about we dig into some of the good stuff and see what it shows us.......

Bible Verse: Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving.

I got to thinking how committed I was to anything. Here's a question for ya! How many things in your life would you say that you're 100% committed to? If we really look at the definition 100% devotion. I bet the list is real short. The reality of 24/7/365 means that you can't be fully committed to too many people, ideas, or really anything at once.

Now, check this out! Paul wants us to add something to that tiny list. Talking to God! He tells his friends in Colosse to be "devoted to" prayer. That means the impulse to say something to God is more than just a " I should" it should be like when something happens and we want to text our best friend to tell them about it. Or, really whenever something worth saying pops up in our mind. Why is it that we can send dozens of texts every day and only talk to God maybe once? Kind of messed up isn't it?

So, how can we do this? He says they, and we, should be watchful for things to ask for God's help with and for things to tell Him thanks for. Just like a new Facebook or Twitter user, Paul wants us to be constantly on the look-out for something worth posting to our Father. Trust me, I have seen some of you on Facebook and you post about everything. That's what God wants from us.

How many things would you say you ask God for in a typical day? How many would you guess you tell Him thanks for? What would it take to increase those numbers this week? Would you have to tie a string around your finger? Put a reminder on your phone? Put sticky notes up everywhere? Let's do this. Tell God thanks for 10 good things right off the top of your head. Then ask Him to help you to be more devoted to Him in prayer. You have to start somewhere. Let's do this together and see how much it increases our thoughts and time with God. I pray you have a great day and God bless.

No comments: