Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A friend on Christmas Eve............

Morning folks! I was looking on Facebook last night and again this morning and saw something that troubled my heart. A lot of people feeling very alone this Christmas season. Whether it be loss of a loved one, divorce, kids with the other parent, or just because. This might sound weird but, the last couple of days I have been making chocolate cover stuff. Yes, I said stuff. If I could dip it in white chocolate I would see how it turned out. I made pretzels, strawberries, ritz crackers, oreos, and peanut butter ritz! I know a little overboard but, I had a lot of time to sit and think while doing this. I too have been caught up in the sadness of a quiet house but, I realized it didn't have to be. Let's dig into the good stuff and see what it shows us...........

Bible Verse: Psalm 46:1"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

Bible Verse: Hebrew 13:5 "...He hath said I will never leave thee nor forsake thee."

I was at an Exxon gas station yesterday in my town and the clerk looked really sad. I asked her if everything was ok. She said, "I'm just really sad I'm divorced, my kids have moved away, and I don't really know many people here."  I said, "Why don't you call a friend?" She said, "I don't have a friend." I sat there and hurt inside for this woman. I said, "I'm sure you have a friend!" She said, "I work all the time and haven't had a chance to make any." Well, I told her of our candle light service we are having at church tonight and invited her. I told her it would be a great place to meet and make some new friends. When I left there it really made me think. How many are just like her this season? It made me think of God being our refuge and strength. But, we for some reason forget that. Hebrews 13:5 says it best ".....He hath said I will never leave thee nor forsake thee."

I remember doing a lesson on this scripture. The Greek scholars tell us this sentence, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee," actually has five negatives in it. A double-negative is supposed to be bad English, but evidently it wasn't bad Greek!!! Here's what it literally says: "I will never, no not ever, no, never leave nor forsake you." That should make us feel a little better. Right?

Here's the real deal! People need someone to love, and they need to be loved. Without it, their lives are filled with fear and frustration. Hebrews 13:5 tells us we can face a new year with the certainty of His provision and with His companionship in our hearts and in our lives. This has all got me to thinking about friends. Did I know someone that just needed some love this season. Who do you know someone that might need a call from a friend today? Make that call today. Have a great day and God bless.

No comments: