Monday, May 28, 2012

Let's stand apart........

Good morning everyone! My family and I have spent the last two days hanging by the pool and enjoying some family time. While I was chillin' in the pool it got me thinking of my Navy days. We had pulled into a port on this beautiful island named Crete. It was one of the most beautiful places I had ever been. Years later I got to thinking that I probably walked in the same areas that a man named Titus walked on. That brings me to what I would like us to dig into today........

Bible Verse: Titus 3:1-2  Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work,  to slander no one, to avoid fighting, and to be kind, always showing gentleness to all people.

Check this out! Titus was a missionary and pastor on that same island. Really guys, It's a gorgeous place. It's a big, sunny Greek island with beautiful beaches and rocky cliffs and mountains that even get snow in the winter and to think I got paid to hang out there for about a month. Did I tell you that I was a diver onboard our submarine? So, I took my dive gear and got to scuba on some of the sweetest reefs I have ever seen.

Well, back to business. It was beautiful, but apparently a hard place to be a Christian back then. Even Paul confirmed the reputation of the culture there: "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons." Paul wanted the Cretan Christians to stand out for being the opposite of that stuff. To live like they really believed God's Word is 100% true.

The verse today tells us some actions that all Christians not just Cretans should do: Obey authorities, don't talk mean about people, think of others, make peace, don't make it all about you, no matter who you're talking to.

Think about this. How would you stand apart from your friends if you lived the way these two verses describe? Would people think you were weird if you were obedient and respectful to authorities like bosses, teachers, parents, and other authorities? You maybe someone who really struggles with this. I spoke to a young man yesterday that really struggle’s with authority and I pray this devotion finds him with an open mind and open heart. If you struggle with this subject. Why don't you ask God to help you to "be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men."

No comments: